Terry's Tidbits

Random thoughts of a Ritterhouse

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas, United States

Friday, January 29, 2010

Tiller's Killer

This will not be an easy post to write. It may be difficult for some to read and may irritate -- even anger -- those whose beliefs are far different from mine. But I feel very strongly about this subject (and have since George Tiller was murdered), and have kept most of my opinions to myself for too long. They've got to come out, and now that the verdict in Scott Roeder's trial was just announced, I'm compelled to spill my guts. (Also, I'm home today due to a small snowstorm -- but who am I to complain about getting to stay home, even when the roads aren't that bad? -- so I have the time to post.)
Even before George Tiller was murdered, anti-abortionists constantly decried his practice, usually claiming he performed illegal late-term abortions. But each time he was legally accused of such crimes, he was found innocent. These people (and I use the word loosely) failed to comprehend what Tiller actually did, how he helped women and families who were struggling with terrible decisions. Do these accusers truly think these women chose abortion without any consideration for the child they carried, or without a lot of praying? What would these accusers do if they found themselves in the same situation, with a fetus so malformed there's no hope of survival (or for some other reason was incapable of surviving)? Would they choose to prolong their agony -- and perhaps that of their unborn child -- by delaying the inevitable?
As for those who, for whatever reasons, chose Dr. Tiller to help them have non-late-term abortions, that was their choice to make -- not anyone else's. Again, they probably struggled with and prayed about their decisions. If you haven't been in that position, you can't truthfully say what you would do. As someone who was almost in that position, I can say that I'm glad I ultimately didn't have to go through such a procedure -- but I'm grateful that it would have been MY choice, not the government's.
If only those who are anti-abortion were as strongly ready to adopt children in foster care! Anti-abortionists blithely believe all unwanted babies are destined for adoption in happy homes. Do they seriously not realize that hundreds of thousands of children are currently in foster care -- many never being adopted and stuck in the system until they age out, others in dangerous and/or abusive situations? And children don't have to be in foster care to be in danger. The US Department of Health & Human Services estimates that, every day, more than 2,400 children are determined to be victims of abuse or neglect. Is that the life you wish for these unborn babies? If not, then do more than rant and rave about abortion. Adopt. Teach young adults -- males, as well as females -- about contraception. (Abstinence-only, while perhaps the one sure method, is unrealistic.)
I recognize that we all think differently, that not everyone shares my opinions. We have the right in this country to these opinions, and I will do all I can to protect your right to your opinion -- IF you protect mine. Too bad we didn't all protect George Tiller's right to help those in need who came to him. So much for right to life.

4 Comments:

Blogger kritterhouse said...

Well said! So now I'm going to have to research what the verdict was. But, you know I totally agree with you and very much fear the future for pro-choice with the weird decisions coming from the Supreme Court.

January 29, 2010 9:47 PM  
Blogger Terry Christner said...

After just 37 minutes of deliberation, the jury found Roeder guilty on all counts (of first degree murder of Tiller, and two counts of aggravated assault against a couple of ushers in the church where Tiller was killed). Sentencing is March 9th.

February 01, 2010 6:32 PM  
Anonymous BeckyC said...

Hear hear! It never ceases to amaze me how these facts seem to just get pooh-poohed away (or ignored completely) by so-called pro-lifers (and I say so-called because it seems like bombing clinics and shooting doctors is somewhat anti-pro-life).
Very well said.

February 13, 2010 9:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

How wonderful to find such a like-minded friend after all these years!

July 02, 2011 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home