Terry's Tidbits

Random thoughts of a Ritterhouse

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas, United States

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sometimes a Movie Is Just a Movie

PROLOGUE
First, since it's been exactly two years since my last post, which was about Jonny's birthday, I've just got to wish him a happy 20th -- especially since he's off cycling along the west coast of Africa for six month. Second, let me just say that I'm determined to get back into the groove of posting more often. So here we go ...

Last week, I got to see "Avatar" (in 3-D). I didn't know much about the movie, other than what I'd seen in previews and comments I'd heard from Dylan and Nathan. I knew it was a highly anticipated movie and a lot of people were going to it more than once, and I like fantasy and science fiction, so I was pretty sure I'd like it -- and I did. One way I can tell how much I like a movie is how much I think about it in the following days and what kinds of feelings I get when I remember parts of the movie. I thought about "Avatar" for several days after seeing it, and felt good about it. It was a neat story about a fantastical otherworld where good triumphs over bad. The basic story was by no means novel, but it was presented in a novel way.
Prior to my going to the movie, several of the listservs I subscribe to had comments from posters who had already seen "Avatar." The negative comments seemed to outweigh the positive. I skimmed most of these posts, because I like to form my own opinions. I also know that the people who post on these listservs can come up with some strange comments. So I wasn't surprised by a bit of controversy surrounding "Avatar."
I was surprised by some of the information I found through these listservs after I saw the movie. One poster provided a link to an op-ed piece in The New York Times by David Brooks, called "The Messiah Complex." Brooks ruminates about Cameron's "obvious" use of the The White Messiah fable, where a white guy goes in search of adventure and thrills, but once he meets the "natives," he figures out theire way of life is right, and he's also taken in that culture and they see him as a leader, or as a messiah. Brooks thinks "Avatar," which he calls a "racial fantasy," is racist and offensive to other cultures.
Another poster linked a review by Patrick Goldstein at latimes.com, called "'Avatar' arouses conservatives' ire." I'd read another review/editorial lamenting the obvious liberal bias of "Avatar," and was expecting this to be a similar tirade -- but I like this one. Goldstein explains why far-right conservatives dislike this movie. In it, they see Cameron warning about global warming, and sending anti-religion and anti-military messages. My first reaction was "Huh?" After reading Goldstein's article, I understand why some people are in an uproar, but I also think they're nuts. I want to shout at them, "IT'S JUST A MOVIE!!" But I know people are going to see what they want to see in movies -- and in books, and in all aspects of their lives.
But I also think that before people complain, they should do a bit of research. I wonder how many of those complaining realize how long Cameron worked on "Avatar." Some of his ideas would pre-date some of their arguments. It's similar to those who've posted comments to The Hutchinson News story about the demolition of the Women's Civic Center (http://hutchnews.com/Localregional/civic). People asked why this happened so suddenly, why no one asked for funds to help renovate it, why no one was allowed to buy it, why parts of it weren't recycled. Anyone willing to do a little research before ranting would have discovered it was not a "sudden" decision; an organization tried for over two years to get funding to restore it; the library was willing to give it away to anyone willing to have it moved; parts of it were recycled. (And, no, there is no staff parking garage in the library's basement.)
I admit I don't always see things the way they truly are. But before I rant and rave about something, I try to find out more about it (mostly to prevent coming off looking like a fool). Too bad more people don't do the same.

1 Comments:

Blogger kritterhouse said...

And what deep dark "message" was being sent when Avatar won the Golden Globe?

January 18, 2010 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home