Terry's Tidbits

Random thoughts of a Ritterhouse

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas, United States

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Save Shakespeare's Church

I read today that William Shakespeare's church and burial spot (Holy Trinity Church in Stratford-upon-Avon) needs major repairs, like millions of dollars worth. I'm seriously considering making a donation, albeit a small one. But if lots of people make even a small donation, it could be enough to save this structure. I'm surprised I haven't heard about this through the myriad of library-related sources I'm linked to. It'd make a great cause for ALA and library organizations -- and libraries -- across the Globe. (Little Shakespearian humor there, in case anyone missed it!) Libraries could set up displays about Shakespeare, with info on the church and its urgent need for funds.
I know there's some controversy out there as to what Shakespeare did or did not actually write and how great he really was. But I lean toward the believers, and I think this is a major historical site that needs to be saved.
If you'd like more info on the church, check the Friends of Shakespeare's Church website at www.shakespeareschucrch.org. They have a link for making donations, including a special link for Americans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home