Terry's Tidbits

Random thoughts of a Ritterhouse

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas, United States

Saturday, January 23, 2010

I've Got a Friend

I was going to "talk" about fog today, since we've had so much and I've felt like I was in one, but I just have to write about JT instead.
For the uninitiated, JT is James Taylor, who's been my favorite musician since I first "met" him on a church youth camping retreat to Camp Buckhorn in the summer of '71. Jay Carter had a battery-powered record player and one of the albums he brought along was "Mud Slide Slim & the Blue Horizon." All it took was one play-through of that album, and I was in love. After returning to Hutch, I heard "You've Got a Friend" every time the Nuzums, Nyberg, Dee, and I went to the Fairgrounds pool. And I discovered both of my older sisters already knew of JT, and one or both of them had an album or two of his. (Therefore, I didn't need to spend my own money to buy any myself!)
When I went away to college at K-State, I was thrilled to find "James Taylor" in the old drugstore on Moro in Aggieville. By that time, I'd purchased my own copies of "Mud Slide Slim" and "Sweet Baby James," but hadn't been able to find this particular album in Hutch. I dreamed of someday seeing JT in person, wishing he'd come to K-State for a concert, but no such luck.
Then one day, it happened! Kathy called to say JT was coming to Dallas. So in May 1981, I finally got to see JT in person -- sort of. He was just a speck on the stage from where we were sitting. I was lucky enough to see him several times after that, usually from far, far away. But one of his concerts in Dallas was with the Dallas Symphony, and Kathy and I got front row seats behind the stage. We mostly saw the back of his head or the side of his face, but at least I didn't need binocs or a large screen TV to see his features!
It's been several years since I last saw JT -- probably '99 at his concert with the symphony. So it's way past time to see him again. Luckily, I got tickets this morning for his Troubadour Reunion Tour with Carole King in Kansas City on May 21st. Yea! It'll be my first time to see Carole in person. Once again, I'll be in the nosebleed section, but I'm sure we'll have no problem hearing the music -- and that's what really matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home