Terry's Tidbits

Random thoughts of a Ritterhouse

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas, United States

Sunday, March 07, 2010

It's All About Me!

Having just had my birthday week (yes, I celebrate more than my actual birth DAY -- I celebrate all week long!), I decided to be very egotistical and vain, and devote this post to the one and only ME!
For the record, I turned 56 on Thursday, March 4th. Somehow, that seems a whole lot older to me than 55 -- it's way too close to 60! Of course, it's better than the alternative of never having turned 56. And at least I still feel a lot younger (attitude-wise, that is -- definitely not physically).
Anyway, I've always loved having a birthday. It's one of the few things that is all about me. After I got married, and after I had kids, I made no bones about the fact that I like celebrating my birthday and having others celebrate it, and so I frequently remind them of this important date several weeks in advance to make sure they properly acknowledge it.
There were times in earlier years when, following Christmas, the advent of my birthday was the main thing that helped get me through the cold, dreary winter months. Sure, there was Valentine's Day along the way, but V-Day isn't just about me! I needed something special to help me see the light at the end of the winter tunnel.
Several years back, when I found out a fellow choir member had the same birthday as me, I wasn't sure I liked sharing my special day. She was a nice enough person -- and it would have been a lot worse if this was someone I didn't really like -- but, being older than her, it felt like she'd somehow encroached on my "property."
I often tell people that my b-day is a joke. Really. It's a joke: What day of the year is a command? March 4th (forth)! So this is another reason my b-day is special. How many people not born on March 4th can say their birthday is a joke?
There are enough times throughout the rest of the year when I may be mad/unhappy/jealous/whatever in certain situations that involve other people -- people who should be the focus of my empathy or concern or well wishes. So I have to stop and tell myself, "It's not about you. It's about (whomever)." My birthday is the one time I can honestly say, "It's all about me!"
[Thanks to everyone who sent me b-day wishes! Keep up the good work!}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home